Pergunta

Does MEO tend to provide services in English?

• 19 October 2021
  • 4 respostas
  • 216 visualizações

First of all I’m sorry to raise this question in public, but if I could find no other way to receive support regarding my issue in My MEO.

Today I came to the MEO office at Amoreiras Shopping Mall, switched the ticket machine interface to English language and got my number in the waiting line — A07. It took me about 15 minutes waiting to get to the consultant. So I said Hola and asked if he speaks any English. He said no. So I asked him what should I do in this situation and received “I don’t speak English” in respond, which sounded basically like “Fuck off”. There was another consultant next to him who was responsible for the B-line, but the guy did not bother to pass me to her or explain me possible ways to solve the situation in Portuguese or whatever. So I had to leave after quite a long wait and experiencing quite an unpleasing customer service.

I’m on a contract with MEO, so my question is whether the company is planning to provide proper services to English-speaking customers? The front page of the website can be switched to English, but the client interface is Portuguese only. Now it seems the same goes with the offices, you can get you waiting-ticket in English, but you may be served in Portuguese only. Well, at least at Amoreiras, everything went just perfect at Armazens do Chiado when I signed the contract.

I understand the company may have non-english-speaking employees, that’s totally fine, but I would suggest to redesign the ticket system so it foresees the problem and tells customers not to spend time waiting as there is no one to assist them in English at the moment. And to train the personnel to be a little more polite of course.

Also, is this a reasonable reason to terminate to contract if I can’t be assisted at a random office?

4 respostas

Reputação 5
Crachá +15

First of all I’m sorry to raise this question in public, but if I could find no other way to receive support regarding my issue in My MEO.

Today I came to the MEO office at Amoreiras Shopping Mall, switched the ticket machine interface to English language and got my number in the waiting line — A07. It took me about 15 minutes waiting to get to the consultant. So I said Hola and asked if he speaks any English. He said no. So I asked him what should I do in this situation and received “I don’t speak English” in respond, which sounded basically like “Fuck off”. There was another consultant next to him who was responsible for the B-line, but the guy did not bother to pass me to her or explain me possible ways to solve the situation in Portuguese or whatever. So I had to leave after quite a long wait and experiencing quite an unpleasing customer service.

I’m on a contract with MEO, so my question is whether the company is planning to provide proper services to English-speaking customers? The front page of the website can be switched to English, but the client interface is Portuguese only. Now it seems the same goes with the offices, you can get you waiting-ticket in English, but you may be served in Portuguese only. Well, at least at Amoreiras, everything went just perfect at Armazens do Chiado when I signed the contract.

I understand the company may have non-english-speaking employees, that’s totally fine, but I would suggest to redesign the ticket system so it foresees the problem and tells customers not to spend time waiting as there is no one to assist them in English at the moment. And to train the personnel to be a little more polite of course.

Also, is this a reasonable reason to terminate to contract if I can’t be assisted at a random office?

You're lucky you still get a lot in english in Portugal, in uk or in the US nobody wants to know what I'm saying when I speak Portuguese. No employee is obliged to serve customers in English or any other language other than Portuguese, some do, if there is a mistake, it is the employee's fault the company does not assume this

You're lucky you still get a lot in english in Portugal, in uk or in the US nobody wants to know what I'm saying when I speak Portuguese. No employee is obliged to serve customers in English or any other language other than Portuguese, some do, if there is a mistake, it is the employee's fault the company does not assume this

I never felt and I don’t feel employees are obliged to serve me in English. But I do expect that they will be polite and willing to help — there is always a way to say sorry in any language.

And, secondly, my question is about the intention: a company may decide to focus on supporting English-speaking customers, or may not. I’m just wondering if anyone knows whether such plans of MEO’s (or other mobile providers) were ever articulated.

Reputação 7
Crachá +23

Despite the situation, as I see it, you had no luck in the contact. English is a second language learned in Education in Portugal. As much as English it's a universal language. Personally, if I go to Greece, I speak English, if I go to Slovenia, I speak English. Obviously, a service that has a page with an English version must be prepared so that the service is in that language as well. Without forgetting what happened to you, have you tried any other contact with the Support? Maybe in person in the store solves this right away.

Sadly, I agree that Meo does a bad job supporting English speaking clients. I wanted to ask a simple question and was put through to customer support only to hear a Portuguese menu that finally hung up on me. The Meo “help” assistant speaks English well, but if they then pass you on to a Portuguese Robot, what is the use?

For the record, I’m trying to learn Portuguese.

Responder